Not even all of these brands are doing everything perfectly when it comes to 1x drivetrains, a part of Sram of course who kind of sets the standard and invents new stuff regarding one by drivetrains moving forward. They still hold that position for anyone that’s not too much into freeride or downhill riding. However, If you need a non-boost one, you can get a different chainring here where the 6mm offset is for non-boost frames and 3mm offset for boost frames. It may not be true for every possible situation. Let us know in the comment section which drivetrain you have for your mountain bike. That’s why this 1x trend is proving to be completely valid this time around. For people who are new to this kind of thing, a clutch is a stop mechanism on your derailleur which prevents it from moving forward and slackening the chain. Therefore, improving mountain bikes for speed and downhill riding requires adapting to 1x drivetrains. Believe me, I’ve been there quite a few times. When I say upgrades, you should take it with a pinch of salt because not all manufacturers were able to produce high gear and high range cassettes that work properly. Why More And More Frames Are Designed For 1x? My favorite crankset choice is NX Dub Crankset 32t simply because it’s affordable and features all the best Sram’s technologies with 32 teeth. Direct. Reviews of mountain bike drivetrains and drivetrain parts from the staff at Bike Magazine. Chain guides are still widely used as lots of people have derailleurs without a clutch and are not willing to spend too much money on converting to 1x. My first reaction to this was to ask a question is it a justified trend or did marketers just did their thing to sell us something new, and more expensive… again. The same case about limitations as in trail riding can be made here as well. These bikes used to use 2x drivetrains most of the time because they excel at long distance trails and climb very well so you will need that gear choice to stay in your comfort zone. You should always try to fit the chain from the same brand as your cassette. It always comes down to learning and gaining skill. Simplicity and low weight are really good things to have on your bike when your intent is to either have fun or race professionally. Bicycle manufacturers are creating frames specifically designed for 1x drivetrains. If you do this wrong then you won’t be able to adjust high gears properly and your chain will wear out quickly. You may not remember this but this isn’t the first time that single front chainring became a thing and everyone started to get crazy about converting to a one-by system. 1x drivetrains also require a bit more strength and endurance. I personally love, There is a valid concern for some people and that would be the cost. The fact that there is a 50/50 debate going on for several years about this already, only proves that having a single front chainring isn’t for everyone. Losing the left shifter means you get more space for any other important upgrade. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. The less weight your bike has the more control you will have over it. … The other one would be something like a good all around bike. All of the mountain biking is slightly changing towards downhill / high-speed performance. That is of course if, like me, you don’t have a specific bike for this purpose alone. I prefer riding with less headache that Sram offers me. The important thing to do is always fit derailleur with a shifter from the same brand. Without a decent drivetrain, your mountain bike will remain stationary and you will eventually need to push it to move forward. Reviews. We design our mountain bike components so they do what you want them to do instantly. Before we started, our friend Steve from Hyland Cyclery took a look at the bike to help us identify all the tools and parts we needed. Same goes for any other upgrade you wish to have there. EasyMtb is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.eval(ez_write_tag([[320,100],'easymountainbiking_com-large-leaderboard-1','ezslot_4',116,'0','0']));report this ad. And more importantly, you may not use some moves properly and efficiently. Especially with high range 12-speed cassettes. 11-speed cassettes were really expensive and properly working 12-speed ones didn’t exist. These setups include parts from popular manufacturers like Sram, Shimano, Race Face, Sunrace, and Wolf Tooth for the front chainrings which have become go-to brands for this type of component. For example, I’m pretty active on my dropper post. If it slackens just a bit it becomes terrible at shifting. These bikes are equipped with one by drivetrains because they want to mimic downhill bikes with more suspension travel but keep the aggressiveness and cost down. I used to run 1x with a chain guide upfront. Shimano Expands List of Microspline Licensees, SRAM’s New Expanded GX Eagle Group One-Ups Shimano, Shimano Introduces Deore 12-Speed & Wide-Range 10- & 11-speed, Tested: Archer Components D1X Trail Electronic Shifting, Shimano Mic Drops SRAM With XT, SLX 12-speed Groups, SRAM Introduces Stuff in Different Colors, The Late Shift: Shimano XTR M9100 Reviewed, Tested: e*thirteen TRS Plus Bash-Only Chainguide | $50, e*thirteen Introduces 12-speed Upgrade Kit, Fresh Produce: SunRace's 11 to 50-Tooth Drivetrain, Versus: Hope Tech vs. Plush brakes, responsive suspension, and the gears to climb hills make mountain bikes so much fun to ride. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. The mountain bike drivetrains consist of a couple of components, with each of these playing an important role in the overall bike design. Also, the chainrings are not as expensive as they used to be. This is a kind of controversial category in my opinion, because if we are talking about actual racing then 99% of the time you will be better off with two by drivetrain. By this point, I’ve made it clear that every rider should understand the gear ratios and what he can get from converting. I’ve literally seen people prefer cheaper 2x drivetrains over much better 1x setups, even some custom made stuff that worked better than your average Shimano drivetrain. One-by drivetrains are generally more expensive. The costs of running one by indeed are a bit on the upside but everything great comes at a cost. It's not Eagle, but it won't stop you from flying, Never got put in the fridge, but they're just a day old. Seems quite straight forward at first but it’s far away from being simple. However, Sram is still my preference for lower end groupset because of lower price and weight. Don’t let this scare you away from enjoying your rides though. We design our mountain bike components so they do what you want them to instantly. Perhaps 12 is enough? It’s not one part, but a system made up of the crankset, chainrings, derailleurs, cassettes, a chain and other small parts — all working together to get you rolling and keep you moving as smoothly and efficiently as possible. As I mentioned at the beginning, 1x drivetrains offer simplicity and low weight. How to Keep Handlebar Grips From Slipping? As a solution, there is a SunRace CSMX80 11-speed cassette with 11-50 range. The part of the frame where the front derailleur used to be attached is not only stronger now but allows for a better rear suspension mounting and position. While low weight isn’t that important for most casual riders, it is actually a crucial thing for technical rides. Looking after your drivetrain, and replacing certain components within it if necessary, will ensure that your bike commute to work is a safe and smooth one. Lower teeth range from the lowest to the highest gear will result in either not having the easiest climbing gears or stroking out on a fast downhill and level ground. Electric Mountain Bikes / Mountain E-Bikes. Enduro bikes are most people’s favorites, including myself. This is true to some extent and it’s highly relevant for this topic because downhill bikes are using specifically developed one by drivetrains for years already. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. This video will show you the components needed to build a 1 x 10 drivetrain for a mountain bike and give tips on the build.