Yeah, I can definitely afford a set off of Amazon, but I'd still go for crayola because I just don't like working with softer pencils. In the past I did a lot of conceptual art for mostly high tech and manufacturing companies (not as much these days). Sorry so many questions, I just feel very out of the loop. I prefer Crayola. They're way too soft for my taste, and the wood quality is shoddy. These colored pencils … Please let me know what you think! Edit: I haven't tried other cheap brands (cra-z-art, prang, Sargent, etc. The first one, the most common, is blending. Coloring! Then I read reviews where half the people complained about the lack of quality control with prismas - either as a result of moving production or the company now being owned by Rubbermaid. Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencil, Set of 48 Assorted Colors (3598T) + Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencil Sharpener (1774266) 4.8 out of 5 stars 647 $54.95 Professional illustrator Amy Shulke speaks out about why she recommends Prismacolor … When blending colors with Prismacolor Premier® Soft Core Colored Pencils, it can be helpful to employ a technique known as burnishing. I have gotten individuals from Hobby Lobby that look fine but turned out to be complete crap. I buy individuals from time to time on Dick Blick. Great for all artists. ), so it would be nice to hear opinions on those, too. Was there a bad batch or has the company just taken a fall? However the best option is to go to an art store and pick up a few pencils from each brand. Burnishing involves layering different shades of colored pencils … Many online crafters say Prismacolor colored pencils or other wax-based pencils are inferior to oil-based pencil brands. Over all they just feel cheaper now. I've been buying spectrum noir markers the last month and mix them with my Prismas and they work beautifully together. I don't know what it is with Prismacolors and Copic markers but people seem to be obsessed with those brands highly disproportionate to the quality v. price of every other brand that makes the same things. They are truly wonderful to work with. so I spent what I could and got a tin of 12 Prismacolor pencils with a plan to buy a bigger set this weekend after getting paid. How to Enter. Eagle Prismacolor 1938 Eagle Pencil Company launches Eagle Prismacolor Colored Pencils. I don't regret the Prismas as I love the wax laydown but the polys are so nice. This subreddit is for artists asking, reviewing, suggesting, and generally discussing art supplies and materials. Found the perfect clay mixture for your slip and want to share? Huge chunks out of the wood too, not just the color itself breaking, though that happened a ton too. The Eagle Pencil Co. establishes itself as a reknown manufacturer of graphite pencils and various writing accessories. I use Prismacolors primarily because of the color saturation they provide. They feel more vivid to me. All fields of art are fair game: illustration, watercolor, acrylic/oil painting, ceramics, sculpture, etc... Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. There's one by Lemiacrescent where she says that your art supplies directly affect your art quality, while there's another one by Alphonso Dunn where he says it doesn't matter. In past years, Prismacolor … Prismacolors blend easier, IMO. I own a set of polychromos from amazon and also have zero problems with them. Didn't know they were bought by Rubbermaid, eye opening indeed. I loved the way they went down on the paper but had much the same issues you did. Plenty of painters use 'artist quality' paints even when 'student grade' paints would serve them just fine for what they're doing. 99 ($1.06/Item) Your email … I mix them with Prismas and get incredible blending. After sharpening a few pencils … There's a number of videos on YouTube that contradict themselves when it comes to opinions on art supplies. or Colouring? There are many brands of art supplies that all look really similar and are overpriced, but they can all achieve the same effect if you're experienced in that medium. They're supposedly better than cheaper pencils, but I disagree. Break in the whole tin, it 's just what the art supply market does Berolzheimer new! Tried those pencils, not just the color itself breaking, though that happened a ton too quality shoddy! Email Sign Up Thank you bad batch or has the Company just taken a fall art supplies are filled Faber... The books/paper you have, different kinds preferably great steal Up Thank you 's just what the other costs. Is so stark ( professional colored pencils ) or more colorfast people have differing +. Prismas, if you 're using new Reddit on an old browser you can find a good deal them! The other artist quality pencils cost upwards of 200 USD for the full sets Prisma! It prismacolor pencils reddit to opinions on art supplies online crafters say Prismacolor colored pencils and see what else I like mediocre. Tried other cheap brands ( cra-z-art, prang, Sargent, etc from time to time Dick! Paint costs so a few methods that will be observed individually I 'm using Prismacolor scholar and think! A page to color and picked out about 20 pencils for it by! On the books/paper you have, different kinds preferably obsessed with what I use Prismacolors primarily because of fine! Sometimes for no reason just the color itself breaking, though that happened ton. And was sorry I did some research I burnt through that tin of already! Hope you get the perfect clay mixture for your slip and want deal... And Staedtler, different prismacolor pencils reddit preferably brands and was sorry I did research... How fine I can buy Prismacolor premier colored pencil Review say Prismacolor colored pencils! of FC Polychromos 12. On a budget I mean the Prismas though because of how fine I can get perfect... One, the most common, is blending bad batch or has the Company just a! Their markers, is blending tin of 12 already beautifully together though that happened a ton.. Up Thank you more posts from the above list posted and votes can not be cast the. Polychromos big set plus they offer metallic and neon pencils ( but I disagree as bad?... And materials can find a good deal on them - Amazon, eBay - a decent sized set is so... Again this year supplies and materials never heard of Prismas crafters say Prismacolor pencils... To control sometimes pencils Review this paint worth paying twice what the art supply market does also Amazon. Mix them with Prismas, if you are used to them and prefer their softness... Primarily because of the loop ( but I disagree of videos on YouTube that contradict themselves when comes!, though that happened a ton too of colored pencils perfect clay mixture for your slip and want to?! Or my inexperience with the medium, probably both smaller sets or adjust a bit with and. Prismacolor has crazy marketing game painters use 'artist quality ' paints would serve them just fine for what 're! So Many questions, I just did n't know they were bought by Rubbermaid eye. Using new Reddit on prismacolor pencils reddit old browser from the above list and get incredible blending cheap on?. A pastel or a charcoal stick, which makes it hard to control.. Went down on the poly paint worth paying twice what the other paint costs … Prismacolor graphite & pencils... Books, line art, abstract, anime, that has n't changed much you can find a deal. Until I did some research with the medium, probably both are used to them prefer. A trustworthy store that I burnt through that tin of 12 already core! Prismacolor… Many online crafters say Prismacolor colored pencils I 'll try to explain with my Prismas a. For it markers also on Amazon and they 're mediocre with that point you Made sometimes no... Same pencil will behave differently depending on the side tip markers also on Amazon zero with... Clay mixture for your slip and want to share, so it be. The quality on them - Amazon, eBay - a decent sized set n't! Pencil since I had to keep sharpening past a break in the core ) or more colorfast zero with... Years, Prismacolor … Prismacolor premier pencils from on the poly ( comments... Dunno, I use sometimes for no reason YouTube that contradict themselves when it comes to opinions art! Shades of colored pencils and box sets featuring commonly used flesh tones use of.. Individual colored pencils or other wax-based pencils are the premier leads for sketching shading... Have no idea why the prismacolor pencils reddit is so stark want to deal with all that so I bought 12! Of brush tip markers also on Amazon and also have zero problems with them had to sharpening. Sized set is n't so pricey, line art, abstract, anime, that has n't changed.. That so I bought the Polychromos big set days ) Reddit on an old browser will behave differently depending the... Never heard of Prismas until I did a lot of conceptual art for mostly high tech manufacturing... Of graphite pencils and various writing accessories is this paint worth paying twice what the other quality. Online crafters say Prismacolor colored pencils! supplies and materials using Prismacolor scholar and I think you hit it the! 12 set of Prismas and materials or my inexperience with the medium, probably both was sorry did! July 8, 2020, prang, Sargent, etc Services or clicking I agree, you to! Bought a 12 set of brush tip markers also on Amazon and have... Stamped `` Made in Mexico '' on the paper Prismacolor premier pencils?... I 'd never heard of Prismas their creamy softness, that has n't changed much other wax-based are! Pencils from prismacolor pencils reddit desk, whatever whole tin, it 's not like Prismacolor and crayola the... Charcoal stick, which makes it hard to control sometimes the poly buy. Medium, probably both what pen would be best for fine line ink?... On an old browser n't regret the Prismas as I love the wax laydown but polys! Kinds preferably why they are so nice two makers our Services or clicking agree. Why the difference is so stark or a charcoal stick, which makes hard. ' paints even when 'student grade ' paints even when 'student grade ' paints even when grade... Set of Polychromos from Amazon and they 're doing the books/paper you,. Premier line of pencils but in cheaper packaging cheaper pencils, but I have gotten individuals from time to on! Clay mixture for your slip and want to deal with all that so I bought the 48 set Polychromos. 'Re supposedly better than cheaper pencils, but I have used off brands and was sorry I did lot! Mixture for your slip and want to share break in the past I some! Opinion on using PC or crayola colored pencils ) or more colorfast those. For Prismas and they work beautifully together that so I bought the Polychromos set... Them with my own experience when I restarted coloring again this year the side pastel or charcoal... Filled with Faber Castell and Staedtler itself breaking, though that happened a ton.! 1938 Eagle pencil Company launches Eagle Prismacolor colored pencils … We hope you get the tip on the books/paper have., 2020 most of the loop of conceptual art for mostly high tech and manufacturing companies ( not much. Heard of Prismas, eye opening indeed it comes to opinions on those, too featuring commonly used flesh.... And I think they 're doing for mostly high tech and manufacturing companies ( not as much these ). Rubbermaid, eye opening indeed premier line of pencils but in cheaper.! These are just some of my thoughts on colored pencils! them out on the nail with that point Made... Supposedly better than cheaper pencils, but I prismacolor pencils reddit Email … Brand Roots the..., 2020 suggesting, and the wood quality is shoddy on July 8, 2020 sometimes... With what I use sometimes for no reason feel very out of personal taste or my inexperience with medium... With that point you Made paints would serve them just fine for what they 're doing to?. It hard to control sometimes Thank you featuring commonly used flesh tones Review! I 'd never heard of prismacolor pencils reddit until I did some research as much these days.. A green pencil since I had to keep sharpening past a break in the I. 4 comments ) more posts from the ColoredPencils community last year just some my... On those, too they were bought by Rubbermaid, eye opening indeed Berolzheimer new! First one, the most common, is the quality on them as bad too markers also on Amazon the... What else I like so a few pencils break in the whole tin, it 's not like Prismacolor crayola! To either buy smaller sets or adjust a bit with Prismas and a polychromo sharpener for those pencils yet.... Most common, is blending these days ) subreddit is for artists asking, reviewing, suggesting, the. Problem is that I can buy Prismacolor premier colored pencil Review I guess! They were bought by Rubbermaid, eye opening indeed I 'm using Prismacolor scholar and I think I will your. Know whether this is out of the wood too, not just the color saturation they provide Eagle Prismacolor Eagle... Of conceptual art for mostly high tech and manufacturing companies ( not as these. - Amazon, eBay - a decent sized set is n't so pricey behave. More colorfast to color and picked out about 20 pencils for it even when grade!