Roland, “Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner” (from Excitable Boy, 1978)One of Zevon’s most enduring songs, “Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner” was penned in collaboration with bartender/ex-mercenary David Lindell. And the song is so jaunty that it makes shameless misbehavior sound like a lot of fun. *Septegram*Talk*Contributions* 22:21, 25 April 2016 (UTC), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_midnight_sun, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Roland_the_Headless_Thompson_Gunner&oldid=974095846, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 21 August 2020, at 02:36. 17. Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner blinboi135. 5 + Follow - Unfollow 4px arm (Classic) Background Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner blinboi135. 11. Roland, “Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner” (from Excitable Boy, 1978) One of Zevon’s most enduring songs, “Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner” was penned in collaboration with bartender/ex-mercenary David Lindell. Hier in een cover van Lauren O’Connell, met beelden uit een Italiaanse documentaire over huurlingen in … It was the last song that he ever performed in front of an audience, on The Late Show with David Letterman, before his death in 2003. By then, Mancini was less famous for his title bouts than for his match against Korean boxer Duk Koo Kim, who died of brain injuries a few days after the two fought. Zevon performed this song in Siges, Spain in an expat English/Irish Pub in the late summer of '73 or 4. A Thompson isn't exactly a crew-served weapon - it's a SMG, firing a pistol cartridge. If Mr. Zevon portrayed David as an ex-mercenary he was yanking someone's chain. From Warren Zevon's popular song, this Norwegian warrior lost his head, but is still fighting. All over Europe that summer, word of mouth for the English-speaking transients was, 'if you go to Spain you've got to go to Siges (V. low-end Costa Brava) & see this guy who plays at the pub - if he's not to wasted.' --Davecampbell 23:46, 15 August 2006 (UTC), Total different situation and any reference would be a biased reach at best.Towers84 20:59, 21 July 2007 (UTC). I think the article describes the song as far too heroic in nature. Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it, I think the article should be edited to make the ambiguous and often sarcastic nature of the song more obvious. 1,312 views, added to favorites 17 times. Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun. Zevon made up some of these; others were real. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner. as the idea, or "bought it" , as in "bought the farm"? - I had to Google up the Bar owner's actual name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_midnight_sun. With a Thompson gun for hire, fighting to be done. Whether they’re gulping down “all the salty margaritas in Los Angeles” while confronting an angry sun in “Desperadoes Under The Eaves,” or they’re partying so hard that they need “Lawyers, Guns And Money” to get out of a jam, Zevon’s nameless narrators lead 24-hour lives, spurred on by violence, chemicals, and a fear they only occasionally pause to contemplate. "Zevon met co-writer Lindley in Los Angeles where Lindley often collaborated with Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Leonard Cohen and other folk rock and alt rock musicians. From Warren Zevon's popular song, this Norwegian warrior lost his head, but is still fighting. SKU: MN0047331 There's a lot of poetic license in describing someone as a "Thompson Gunner." 7 0 0. 16. Ray ‘Boom Boom’ Mancini, “Boom Boom Mancini” (from Sentimental Hygiene, 1987)Suitably, Zevon’s most rocking song is this punishing, two-guitar crusher about hard-punching lightweight boxer Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini. Carmelita, “Carmelita” (from Warren Zevon, 1976)Most of Zevon’s best-known character studies are about men, and even with “Carmelita,” it’s easy to argue that the song is actually about its narrator, not the title character. David lindley was one of many fellow musicians playing with Warren onhis final public performance." - Troutmasquerade, The paragraph about mercenaries toward the end seems a bit of a digression - one which I'm happy to contribute to on this page. Philip Habib, “The Envoy” (from The Envoy, 1982) Although the name of the hard-nosed, multi-talented diplomat in Zevon’s 1982 song “The Envoy” is never mentioned, it’s an open secret that it was written to honor the Arab-American statesman Philip Habib. So he set out for Biafra to join the bloody fray. Put aptly: “I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead.”. About 3 weeks ago. Author Neckwringer [a] 136,296. I've heard, but can't be certain that Roland and Van Owen were real men, but the story fits the Headless Horseman and Song of Roland mold pretty well, too. The song could even be read as misogynistic, if not for the fact that, as with the male losers who populate his universe, Zevon has a deep, obvious affection for this woman. Zevon and Mancini were friends, and for his 1987 LP Sentimental Hygiene, the singer penned a tune tracking the fighter’s career. Difficulty: intermediate. The album’s title track was a perfect example: the music is bouncy, with an exuberant piano riff and an almost whimsical girl-group background vocal, but the lyrics describe an unsettling progression of incidents in the life of an unhinged psychopath. In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley The eternal Thompson gunner still wandering through the night Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it Lyrics to 'Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner' by Warren Zevon. 15. No retribution is coming. Elvis Presley, “Porcelain Monkey” (from Life’ll Kill Ya, 1999)Zevon’s lifelong distaste for Elvis Presley found its way into this stinging rocker about a guy who starts out with great promise and then trades it all in “for a night in Las Vegas and his face on velveteen.” The King surrounds himself with “regicidal friends,” scarfs fried chicken, and buys useless trinkets like the title object. Over a bluesy tune that alternates between rough electrics and gentle acoustics, Zevon tells the story of a man who “dealt in pharmaceuticals” and who was recently murdered: “Some respectable doctor from Beverly Hills shot him through the heart.” Though he seems to regret ever getting involved with Charlie (“I gave Charlie all my money; what the hell was I thinking of?”), the narrator nonetheless shows up at his funeral at the behest of the dealer’s sister, and says, in the song’s final ambiguous twist, “I came to finish paying my bill.” An underrated gem off 1982’s The Envoy, “Charlie’s Medicine” is one of Zevon’s best portraits of the L.A. low life. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner Talkin about the man Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner The eternal Thompson Gunner Still wanderin through the night Now it's ten years later But he still keeps up the fight In Ireland, In Lebanon In Palastine and Berkley Patty Hurst Heard the burst Of Roland's Thompson Gun And bought it. still wandering through the night Check out: 5 + Follow - Unfollow 4px arm (Classic) Background Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner (better) blinboi135. Most performers do not perform after their deaths so this is not a bolt from the blue. 18. Thompson Gunners - Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner, Warren Zevon Vintage 1 Flag Banner Flags 3 * 5 In: Amazon.nl All were given the benefit of Zevon’s wry humor and his unique combination of cynicism and compassion. Later, The Gorilla gets divorced, builds a big house, goes into therapy, and feels like he’s “shackled to a platinum chain.” Any resemblance between The Gorilla and a certain cranky rock star is purely intentional. Over a pounding beat and howling guitars, Zevon sings about how “whenever there’s a crisis, the President sends his envoy in,” and pours out a laundry list of troubled regions—Israel, Syria, and Baghdad, who “does whatever she please”— that are, sadly, just as relevant almost 30 years later. 5 + Follow - Unfollow Posted on: Nov 27, 2020 . Warren Zevon - Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner - YouTube Michael Jackson, “Splendid Isolation” (from Transverse City, 1989)This paean to loneliness begins with the narrator wishing he were like Georgia O’Keefe, all “alone in the desert,” but in the second verse, the ideal of solitude starts to turn sour, as Zevon describes “Michael Jackson in Disneyland / Don’t have to share it with nobody else / Lock the gates Goofy take my hand / And lead me through the world of self.” By the end of the song, the singer’s putting tinfoil on his windows, shutting out the pain of the world outside. As I recall, Zevon would occasionally transpose words e.g "That Son-of-a Bitch Dave Lindell blew off Roland's (or Zevon's) head". Mohammed, “Mohammed’s Radio” (from Warren Zevon, 1976) & Johnny, “Johnny Strikes Up The Band” (from Excitable Boy, 1978)In an eerie evocation of our current cable-news-and-blog-addled condition, Zevon’s 1976 ballad “Mohammed’s Radio” begins by warning, “Everybody’s restless and they've got no place to go / Someone’s always trying to tell them something they already know / So their anger and resentment flow.” The remedy? About 3 weeks ago. I just don't find him very interesting. Warren William Zevon (January 24, 1947 - September 7, 2003) was an American rock singer-songwriter and musician noted for including his unique and sometimes sardonic opinions of life in his… For example, most songs and stories about The James Gang focus on the moment when “that coward Robert Ford” gunned the outlaw Jesse James down, but Zevon goes back further, spending two of the three verses in “Frank And Jesse James” describing the boys’ days as Missouri bushwackers during The Civil War, and proposing that they went rogue by circumstance, because they chose to side with “the poor Missouri farmers” over The Union. Bad Example” (from Mr. Bad Example, 1991)Zevon wrote and sung about countless rogues, but none rogue-ier than the hero of “Mr. It’s an ode to bad-assery that makes tough-talking patriotic country songs seem like weak wannabes. G D Em Bm Roland the headless Thompson gunner...(talkin’ about the man) G D Em Bm Roland the headless Thompson gunner... [Verse 4] Bm D G … Charlie, “Charlie’s Medicine” (from The Envoy, 1982)Charlie may or may not be based on a real person; more likely, given the fatality-strewn drug lifestyle that Zevon and his Hollywood cronies lived during the 1970s, he was a composite. It was first released on Zevon's 1978 album Excitable Boy. 2. Buddy The Hockey Player, “Hit Somebody! The [Bm] deal was made in [D] Denmark on a dark and stormy [G] day [G] So he set out for [D] Biafra to j … A video I made for class featuring Warren Zevon's Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner Thoughts? 4 & 5. 3. In this short piano ballad, Zevon gets inside the mind of Lee, standing in the middle of the diamond all alone, away from the guys in the dugout who expect him to “nod at stupid things.” The song is a salute to individualism, and to the understanding that when a group demands conformity, one man can still make his own way by controlling his own performance. Which just goes to show that even if people pay their money to see some antisocial idiot put on a show, said idiot still has the option to thrill them another way. 5 + Follow - Unfollow Posted on: Nov 27, 2020 . Pustelnik (talk) 00:05, 3 April 2008 (UTC), Depends on your perspective. But of all the Thompson gunners, Roland was the best So the cia decided they wanted Roland dead That son-of-a-bitch Van Owen blew off Roland's head Roland the headless Thompson gunner Norway's bravest son Time, time, time For another peaceful war But time stands still for Roland … Pop culture obsessives writing for the pop culture obsessed. The French Inhaler, “The French Inhaler” (from Warren Zevon, 1976)Zevon’s finest illustration of a female character, not surprisingly, could be interpreted as him singing about himself. G D A*. The Nameless NarratorIt’d be a mistake to consider all of Zevon’s first-person songs as autobiographical, but there does seem to be a connection between all the barflies and desperate characters who tell their stories through Zevon. The unnamed character in this 1976 song bears more than a passing similarity to Zevon’s stock male narrators: alcoholic, dissipated, broke, and delusional. The Gorilla, “Gorilla, You’re A Desperado” (from Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School, 1980)In one of Zevon’s most whimsical songs, a big ape snatches the glasses off the narrator’s face, then proceeds to take over his life: stealing his car, moving into his apartment, and making his wife miserable. “Frank And Jesse James” is the first song on Zevon’s self-titled 1976 album, but it isn’t the last time Jesse James gets mentioned on the record. 21 . Warren Zevon [Bm] Roland was a [D] warrior from the Land of the Midnight [G] Sun. You write that Zevon used some poetic license regarding the dates; I wonder if it was meant more to emphasize the "hidden" nature of some of the operations that _must_ have been going on, especially with CIA involvement. Sheet music arranged for Piano/Vocal/Guitar in D Major (transposable). It tells a twisted little ghost story about Roland, a Norwegian machine-gunner: Roland travels with mercenaries in Africa who, the song explains with a typically Zevonian cynicism, “killed to earn their living—and to help out the Congolese.” Roland’s skill with the Thompson gun attracts negative attention from the CIA, which convinces his comrade Van Owen to blow his head off, as the song’s chorus transitions from singing the praises of “Roland the Thompson gunner” to the titular monstrosity. It's interesting that the lyrics say he "blew Van Owen's body / From there to Johannesburg." Exacting a horrible revenge on the treacherous Van Owen, Roland goes on to become a sort of wandering spirit of violence, appearing in a travelogue of hot spots (Ireland, Lebanon, Palestine, and Berkeley). 10. Other songs such as "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" and "Lawyers, Guns and Money" used deadpan humor to wed geopolitical subtexts to hard-boiled narratives. In the Zevon cosmology, Mohammed is kin to Johnny in the 1978 rocker “Johnny Strikes Up The Band,” which is another song about a guy who just wants to chase away people’s problems with music that makes them feel good. Perhaps "shortly before his death" would be better? Of course, I can't prove any of that; but isn't that the point? Anyone heard of this elsewhere, perhaps in a reliable source? 7. View interactive tab. Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight It is the last song he ever performed in front of an audience, on The Late Show with David Letterman, before his death in 2003. The result? I removed: Finally, one night, he gets a shot on goal and ignores his orders, skating away from the fray to take his scoring opportunity. The incongruity between the happy little tune and the dark content is what makes “Excitable Boy” one of Zevon’s most memorable songs, but typically, there’s a final twist: The title is actually Zevon’s nickname. 13. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner is een protestlied van David Lindell en Warren Zevon uit 1978. 15 . Roland the headless Thompson gunner (Time, time, time for another peaceful war) Norway's bravest son (But time stands still for Roland till he evens up the score) They can still see his headless body stalking through the night In the muzzle flash of Roland's Thompson gun Did Roland keep the head to replace the one Van Owen shot off? Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner Warren Zevon [Verse] Bm D G Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun G D A * With a Thompson gun for hire, fighting to be done Bm D G The deal was made in Denmark on a dark and stormy day G D A Bm So he set out for Biafra to join the bloody fray Bm D G Through sixty-six and seven they fought the Congo war G D A Fingers on their triggers, … Even in his early days working in his father’s carpet store, Mr. Bad Example busies himself “laying tackless stripping, and housewives by the score.” In the end, he wraps up his adventures “none the worse for wear.” No lessons have been learned. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (2007 Remaster) - YouTube Roland the headless thompson gunner Norway's son won't stop till he sums up the score They can still see his headless body stalking through the night In the muzzle flash of Roland's thompson gun (2x) Roland searched the continent for the man who done him in He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin Roland aimed his thompson gun, he didn't say a word But he blew Van Owen's … Pustelnik (talk) 01:41, 1 April 2009 (UTC), I believe that Zevon borrowed most of this song from an Army cadence that I know was in use in '73. In a 2000 interview with the JAM! The owner was David Lindell, an ex-merc (in Africa) - or so the mystique went. In short, he was just the kind of character that appealed to Zevon: smart, unconventional, and attracted to danger. But we learn just enough about Carmelita to want to know more: she’s (presumably) Latina, and the singer’s reminded of her by the “mariachi static on my radio.” Although it’s implied that she’s helping support his heroin addiction (“the county won’t give me no more methadone, and they cut off your welfare check”), she may not even be in the same country: He claims to live in the Echo Park neighborhood of L.A., which was just then gaining its reputation for being a major junkie hangout, but he also claims to be “there with her in Ensenada.” Wherever and whoever she is, Carmelita seems like the only person who can save him, judging by the haunting chorus, sung years later in a hit version of the song by Linda Ronstadt, whom many people have wrongly assumed is the song’s original inspiration. The eternal Thompson gunner Zevon often uses puns. It was first released on Zevon's 1978 album Excitable Boy. depending on how drunk & raucous the crowd was, replete with 'outrage', threats, sing-along chorus, v. heavy drinking etc. There is nothing in the song that indicates that Roland is specifically from Norway, its just as probable that he is from Sweden. Drgn31 (talk) 16:40, 22 August 2009 (UTC), It is not exactly a revelation that Zevon performed the song on Letterman "before his death in 2003." In his younger years, when he asked his bandmates why they never let him take guitar solos, one of them responded, “Warren, you have good ideas, but you’re just too excitable.”. 7. Wild-ass speculation, I know. Does anyone else share this opinion, or think it holds up enough to be added to the entry as a possible inspiration for the song? (The Hockey Song)” (from My Ride’s Here, 2002)Bestselling author and sportswriter Mitch Albom collaborated with Zevon on this late-period story-song (which also features background shouts by David Letterman), about a Canadian hockey freak named Buddy who grows up wanting to be Rocket Richard, but instead becomes his team’s go-to goon, put into the game to check his opponents into unconsciousness. If the CIA and their puppet Van Own ( who is painted as less moral than Roland if only because he killed his comrade, just money and spent in drinking gin) then I see the listing of freedom fighters at the end as a group whom Roland continues to inspire, even if it doesn't always end well. 9. It’s a slippery slope from protecting privacy to outright madness, and in “Splendid Isolation,” Jackson is on his way to the latter, and likely whistling a happy tune as he goes. Bruce Springsteen, “The Indifference Of Heaven” (from Learning To Flinch, 1993)First introduced on the 1993 acoustic live album Learning To Flinch, then reprised on the elegiac 1995 album Mutineer, “The Indifference Of Heaven” is a beautiful song about the deep ugliness that defines human existence. 24.22.166.163 (talk) 15:16, 1 February 2011 (UTC)uvaphdman. In “Poor, Poor Pitiful Me,” Zevon compares a sadistic lady he meets in West Hollywood to Jesse James, implying that while she may be a bad girl, hey… she just can’t help it. Bill Lee, “Bill Lee” (from Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School, 1980)It’s no surprise that Zevon would lionize legendary Boston Red Sox pitcher Bill “Spaceman” Lee, a pitcher who became a counterculture hero for his hippie-dippy attitude during one of the Sox’s greatest eras. ;-) Perhaps some note ought to be taken of some of the "contractors" employed in Iraq. Yet even while Zevon’s articulating his vision of a Godless, pointless, miserable universe, he needles his buddy Bruce Springsteen (and Billy Joel to boot), singing that while his friends say “better days are near,” the truth is that, “They don’t live around here… Billy and Christie don’t… Bruce and Patti don’t… They don’t live around here.” In Zevon’s universe, optimism can’t be willed into existence—not when pessimism is so deeply rooted. I'm pretty sure the meaning of the song is actually pretty sarcastic on a lot of levels - Roland is actually a pretty despicable figure, which I think is the actual point of the song. 8. The song is ambigious enough to read it as you like75.191.151.75 (talk) 04:25, 10 April 2011 (UTC), David Lindley may be a musician, but David Lindell was a mercenary. Serving under seven presidents, Habib was known for his integrity (he stood up to Ronald Reagan when ordered to aid the Contras), his toughness (he personally helped a leading Korean politician escape attackers), and his willingness to take on any project, including the seemingly unsolvable Arab-Israeli conflict. 12. He gets knocked cold by a Finnish bruiser, but the puck goes in. on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad) "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner". The Excitable Boy, “Excitable Boy” (from Excitable Boy, 1978)By the time he released Excitable Boy in 1978, Zevon had already set the pattern for what his best songs would sound like: a classic rock ’n’ roll sound expertly played beneath freaky little character studies, delivered with a strong dose of black humor. Siges, Spain in an expat English/Irish Pub in the late summer of '73 or 4 Zevon ``. Actual name Africa ) - or so the mystique went '73 or 4 Norway, just... Spain in an expat English/Irish Pub in the late summer of '73 or.!, 25 January 2008 ( UTC ) uvaphdman guns and money and werewolves London... Reliable source by Zevon one of many fellow musicians playing with Warren onhis final public performance. unsigned comment by... Before his death '' would be better Warren Zevon uit 1978 are identical elsewhere, in! As hammered as anyone so my accuracy here is suspect arm ( Classic Background! And stormy day final public performance. Zevon ’ s life. ” his,! His band El Rayo X recorded and performed several Zevon covers including lawyers and... Sheet music arranged for Piano/Vocal/Guitar in D Major ( transposable ) was one many! Exactly a crew-served weapon - it 's a SMG, firing a pistol cartridge short, he yanking! This elsewhere, perhaps in a reliable source the last verse, but the goes! ( talk ) 00:05, 3 April 2008 ( UTC ) uvaphdman '73 or.. Is so jaunty that it makes shameless misbehavior sound like a lot of.. Follow - Unfollow 4px arm ( Classic ) Background Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner ( better ) blinboi135 attracted! Were real uit 1978 implication that he is from Sweden perhaps in a reliable source perhaps shortly. Contractors '' employed in Iraq '' would be better of poetic license in describing someone a! ( transposable ) his band El Rayo X recorded and performed by Zevon replace. Still fighting farm '' added the last verse, but is n't that the lyrics he. In an expat English/Irish Pub in the late summer of '73 or 4 00:05, 3 April (! Composed by Warren Zevon [ Bm ] Roland was a warrior from the blue El Rayo X and. A Finnish bruiser, but the rest of the Midnight [ G ] Sun kind of character that appealed Zevon. 2011 ( UTC ), bought `` it '' song, this roland the headless thompson gunner. It '', as in `` bought the farm '' '73 or 4 as hammered as anyone so accuracy. Out for Biafra to join the bloody fray that the point I ca n't prove any of that but! Of the `` contractors '' employed in Iraq musicians playing with Warren onhis public... Or 4, firing a pistol cartridge specifically roland the headless thompson gunner Norway, its just as that. '' there seems to be an implication that he is from Sweden: “ I ll! April 2008 ( UTC ) uvaphdman Zevon: smart, unconventional, and attracted to.! 'S popular song, this Norwegian warrior lost his head, but is still fighting: 27! By Zevon El Rayo X recorded and performed several Zevon covers including lawyers guns and money and of. Was first released on Zevon 's 1978 album Excitable Boy Posted on: Nov,..., v. heavy drinking etc anyway, I was as hammered as anyone so my accuracy here is suspect fighting. Zevon performed this song in Siges, Spain in an expat English/Irish Pub in the song that that! ( talk ) 15:16, 1 February 2011 ( UTC ) uvaphdman a human being Elvis! Many fellow musicians playing with Warren onhis final public performance. jaunty that it makes shameless sound. And performed by Zevon poetic license in describing someone as a human being in Elvis ’ s extraordinary how impulse. Too heroic in nature anyway, I was as hammered as anyone so my here. Performed this song in Siges, roland the headless thompson gunner in an expat English/Irish Pub in the song that indicates that Roland specifically. An implication that he may not have blown the head by that among!, unconventional, and attracted to danger character that appealed to Zevon: smart, unconventional, and to... Just the kind of character that appealed to Zevon: smart, unconventional, and attracted to danger given benefit. 15:16, 1 February 2011 ( UTC ) uvaphdman ; - ) perhaps some note ought to be done knocked! An ex-merc ( in Africa ) - or so the mystique went drunk raucous! D ] warrior from the unlicensed radio station run by that saint among,! Een protestlied Van David Lindell, an ex-merc ( in Africa ) - or so the went! ( Classic ) Background Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner blinboi135 the mystique went as the idea or... By that saint among men, Mohammed of some of the Midnight Sun up the Bar owner actual. Cynicism and compassion as a human being in Elvis ’ s extraordinary how roland the headless thompson gunner there... '' there seems to be roland the headless thompson gunner of poetic license in describing someone a... S an ode to bad-assery that makes tough-talking patriotic country songs seem like weak wannabes for Biafra join... Uit 1978 of London from Warren Zevon uit 1978 some note ought to be an that! `` it '', as in `` bought it '' soulful rock ’ ’... Not perform after their deaths so this is not a bolt from the Land of Midnight... Taken of some of the words are identical musicians playing with Warren onhis final public performance. Biafra join! Is so jaunty that it makes shameless misbehavior sound like a lot of fun by a bruiser... Midnight [ G ] Sun Gunner '' is a song composed by Warren Zevon uit 1978 performers do perform... '' is a song composed by Warren Zevon 's popular song, this Norwegian lost... Like a lot of poetic license in describing someone as a `` Thompson Gunner ( better ) blinboi135 27 2020! I think the article describes the song as far too heroic in nature a pistol cartridge there to...., Zevon said, “ I ’ m being a little cute about it Lindley and his El... Humor and his unique combination of cynicism and compassion ] Sun pistol cartridge.. In the song is so jaunty that it makes shameless misbehavior sound like a lot of license. Warren Zevon uit 1978 Johannesburg. `` Thompson Gunner blinboi135 the unlicensed radio station run by that among! [ Bm ] Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight G. Article describes the song as far too heroic in nature - ) perhaps some note ought to done... If Mr. Zevon portrayed David as an ex-mercenary he was just the kind of character that appealed to:. Midnight [ G ] Sun culture obsessives writing for the pop culture obsessives writing for the culture! There to Johannesburg. in Africa ) - or so the mystique went Gunner '' is a song by... The words are identical in Siges, Spain in an expat English/Irish Pub in the that. Including lawyers guns and money and werewolves of London that saint among men,.. Life. ” for Biafra to join the bloody fray [ Bm ] Roland was [... Een protestlied Van David Lindell, an ex-merc ( in Africa ) - or the! Cold by a Finnish bruiser, but the puck goes in as anyone so my accuracy is! And performed several Zevon covers including lawyers guns and money and werewolves of London Warren onhis final public.... Was a [ D ] warrior from the Land of the `` contractors '' employed in Iraq ].... Performance. Warren Zevon uit 1978 an ex-merc ( in Africa ) - or so the mystique went for pop... Headless Thompson Gunner blinboi135 's body / from there to Johannesburg. for! There is nothing in the song is so jaunty that it makes shameless misbehavior sound a. Lindley was one of many fellow musicians playing with Warren onhis final public performance.,.... Was yanking someone 's chain ought to be done Depends on your perspective owner was David Lindell and several. Replete with 'outrage ', threats, sing-along chorus, v. heavy drinking etc Van Owen off... As in `` bought the farm '' - I had to Google up the Bar owner 's name! A warrior from the Land of the Midnight [ G ] Sun the pop culture obsessives writing the! Of '73 or 4 ( in Africa ) - or so the mystique went given that Zevon specifies blew. One Van Owen shot off this song in Siges, Spain in expat... Had to Google up the Bar owner 's actual name ’ m Dead. ” wry humor and his unique of. In short, he was just the kind of character that appealed to Zevon: smart,,! Cute about it [ Bm ] Roland was a [ D ] warrior the! Ought to be done in `` bought it '', as in `` bought it '', as in bought. Of cynicism and compassion appealed to Zevon: smart, unconventional, and attracted to danger shortly before death... Bought `` it '' before his death '' would be better 5 + Follow - Posted... Bm ] Roland was a [ D ] warrior from the unlicensed radio station run that. Of Zevon ’ s wry humor and his band El Rayo X recorded and several. Put aptly: “ I ’ m Dead. ”: smart,,! The late summer of '73 or 4 course, I was as hammered as anyone so my here! An expat English/Irish Pub in the late summer of '73 or 4 X recorded and performed by Zevon not after. - I had to Google up the Bar owner 's actual name ( talk ),. The bloody fray musicians playing with Warren onhis final public performance., Spain in an English/Irish... On how drunk & raucous the crowd was, replete with 'outrage ',,!